9.06.2007

aren't we done, God?

for the last couple of days i have felt not like myself. almost like i don't know who i am. i haven't felt like i want to do anything at all, even though my house is a disaster and i should be cleaning it. i haven't been in the mood to play with my kids, am i the only one out there who feels like that sometimes. i have felt like my body is here, but my energy and thoughts and feelings are elsewhere and i don't know where they are. i feel like i can't make any decisions or have a clear focus, which is so totally frustrating. and all of these things add up to make me feel unproductive and then that leads to feeling rotten. i like feeling productive. i like accomplishing things.

so today, i have been trying to put a finger on why i might be feeling this way. i begun the day asking God to order my steps in His way. i have felt like my steps have been more like stumbles today. i am not sure what is going on with me. i think that there are two things going on. i think God is still not finished with me, He is still molding, shaping and changing all parts of me. i also think that i have so many emotions and thoughts put into so many of the areas of my life, mostly the ones He is working on - that i can not even think straight. i have no patience and i feel exhausted. i will start something and then stop - completely scatterbrained and even procrastinating on things. to top it all off, i am not feeling that great - i am fighting off a cold and it is winning right now. i think my feeling all these things was God trying to get my attention and by making me feel unproductive and not like myself He knows i will turn to him for direction and He knows He has my attention and then He will proceed to teach me or show me things I didn't know.

pretty much i have identified that God is working on me. He has been for quite some time. i don't mean to sound ungrateful, but aren't we done yet, God? i can not recall if i have posted using this analogy - if i have, hang in there with me. my friend, beth and i talked a few months ago about the analogy of the potter's hand. and how God basically will smash a piece of work, breaking it into pieces and then start over with a fresh new piece and begin to mold and shape it into His image, which is very different from the broken piece before it was smashed. by no means did i create this analogy on my own, i have heard it other times in my life. but it so applies to my life right now. a while ago i was soooo broken, i mean painfully and completely broken.

i was the piece that was broken and smashed and He started over with me. God has given me a new form and shape. but He isn't done with me yet. i wonder if He will ever be done with me. i think God is always at work in our lives, but sometimes i think He just has to work on smoothing out some rough edges. then there are other times when He has to break us and remake us. honestly, i am tired. i am ready to be smoothed over and not rebuilt. i probably shouldn't feel this way, i don't mean to be ungrateful. i am so excited about all that He is doing in soooo many areas of my life. but i am exhausted, physically, spiritually and emotionally. i want to feel settled. i want to feel like i know who i am. i don't feel like i even know myself. i have allowed God complete control and i don't know how i am going to react to or act on any decision. i have given up control. i love being in control, so this is so unlike me. i am just ready to know who i am again.

but for some reason, he isn't ready to be done with me, i am still very much a work in progress.

3 comments:

farmersdaughter4ever said...

I God is never finished...when I was little we used to sing this song called "He's still workin on me"..and it goes like this..."He's still workin on me to make me what I ought to be, it took Him just a week to make the moon and the stars, the sun and the earth and jupiter and mars, how loving and how patience He must be, He's still workin on me."....hang on and remember what Pastor Stephen says..."it's the process that counts!"

Anonymous said...

dawn
i feel this way so much of the time. honestly, it's like i told you this morning--i could have written this. your honesty encourages me. you are a delight. love you, jess

Anonymous said...

Hey Dawn I do not know if you will get this before tonight but I will not be there this time we are needin' to do the family thing. I will definitely start on the the next one. Sorry I will definitely miss you guys and very excited about this study!