9.24.2007

mom with a mission...

after a few weeks of trying to get adjusted to all the things i have on my plate. i realized that i was going to have to start making some changes in the way that i do things. the way that i schedule our day and our activities, the way that i organize the mounds of papers, mail and schoolwork that come through the door, the expectations i put on myself to accomplish all that i am trying to do and the way i go about my day putting God first.

i realized today while i was driving (go minivan moms!!) that my involvement and my life (aka the things i have on my plate) is busy and it will probably stay this way for awhile. most of the things i am involved in revolve around my role as a mom. (ie: i am a room mom at josh's school, i work one day a week at jordyn and jesiah's preschool, i am a "day care mom" to our little friend tucker, mom's book study ~~ i am also involved in the community groups ministry at elevation, where i attend a couple's small group and also lead a high school small group.)

i realized as i was driving, that i am complete, i am content with what i have on my plate and where my life is going. there were a few other things that i had thought about doing or adding. but i am ok, completely ok with the things i have. i am not going to add anything else. they are enough for me. they are christ honoring and they keep me plenty busy. i am learning how to say no and keep these things chugging along! (more about saying no in another post!)


so, it came to me today that i need a mission statement to help reinforce and support what i am doing in my ministry. to keep me focused and not getting off track. most churches, ministries, organizations and schools have a mission statement. so i thought, well my ministry right now in this stage of life is being a wife and a mom. and that is where i am going to remain centered and grounded.

so, i am going to begin working on a mission statement for my ministry. i encourage you to take a look at what is on your plate and ask yourself, "does it follow my mission statement? or is it helping me achieve "a win" for what my mission is?" if the answer is no, you may have to do one of two things: rewrite or rethink your mission statement or remove those things that don't line up with your mission.

whether you have thought about writing a mission statement or not, that doesn't matter -- what is most important is that as moms we understand that God has given us our family to minister to - our family is our ministry first and foremost. and what we do really really does matter.

mothering matters...be intentional about being a mom with a mission!!

1 comment:

Ken, Amy, & Will (for now) said...

great advice Dawn! Hang in there! You are a great Mom and I know everything will work out!