8.25.2007

commiting to not over commit

i think i have an addiction to over committing myself. i love to be busy and be involved. but i also know that too much busyness is not a good thing. i realized after attending a meeting where i made more commitments that i had this addiction. it is crazy -- at this meeting i was so excited and signed up to do about everything except replace the coordinator -- and what i didn't sign up for - my friend amy did.

the next day, i looked over a list of commitments that i have made and realized something has to be crossed off. so you can get a mental pic of what i am talking about, i am going to list my commitments.
so here they are:
(note: these are outside of my duties as wife, mom, puppy caretaker and friend!)

~doing a book study with some friends from church
~co-leading a small group for high school students (1x/wk)
~co-leading a small group for adult couples (1x/wk)
~volunteering for an outreach ministry (2x/month, plus outside prep work)
~sunday morning commitments at church: community groups (2-4x/month)
~working one day a week (min.) at my kid's preschool
~being the room mom in my first grader's class
~volunteer commitments at union academy (atleast 60 hours/yr)
-attending field trips, reading once a week to the kids, hospitality, etc.
~babysitting for our friends' little boy
~babysitting for another friends' 2 little kids
~taking jordyn to ballet
~taking josh to sports


this is not something i am trying to "show off" or "brag" about, just the opposite -- it is a bit embarassing that i could even think i could do all of these things and do any of them well, not to mention be available to my first priority to my family and friends. i actually thought that if i shared with you what i am thinking about committing to -- you may be sitting in the same boat, trying to get your priorities in line too -- and together we can realize that we can not do it all. and no one but ourselves expects us to do it all.

i have already had 2 friends plus my hubby tell me that something has to give! good thing is most of these things have not started so backing out will be easy at this point before i get to involved.

i am going to pray over this list and ask God to help me determine which and how many need to be crossed off. i have a few in my mind that will go first. i want to make sure they are the ones God wants me to back out of.

i need to stop committing to putting more and more on my plate and spend quality time and energy with what i choose to put there.

No comments: