3.10.2009

a sweet reminder...

just about every day i look around and everything seems to be a disaster. a mess. toys out of their bins. clothes and shoes scattered everywhere. laundry piled high. juice spilled making a sticky kitchen floor. papers stuffed and tucked wherever. books off their shelves. i try to keep up with it all and i am just one person being overcome by four little people and all of this stuff.

i love order and things to be neat in their place. i love the feeling of a clean house. it looks good and smells good. and it just doesn't last long in our house. sometimes i get really frustrated and sometimes i am ok with it. now i have this tucked in my mind and it makes me realize it is ok to let some things go...




Song for a Fifth Child.

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton
written in 1958
first published in the
Ladies Home Journal

yesterday, during my bloghopping i found this sweet reminder on this sweet blog!

3 comments:

Christy said...

good one. Girl, as I have said before... we are at the same point... I think with everything! ha! there are days I am ok with the mess and clutter as well and other days it overwhelms me. When it does call me... I'll talk to ya and let you know that mine is the same! I'll call you as well. gotta run a client just got here. Thanks.
chrsity

3 Bay B Chicks said...

What an absolutely lovely sentiment. Exactly what I needed to be reading today. Seriously.

Honestly, I feel like you were channeling me in the first part of your post. Keeping the diaster in my home at bay seems to be a part of my daily mission. Sometimes, it might just be better if I let things go entirely.

Thank you! So glad that you joined the SITS community.

-Francesca

4torock said...

I LOVE it! I need to print this out and read it daily when this little one comes- they DO grow so big so quick! :)

PS- catching up on my blogs and sooo needed this today.... maybe Ill blog about my stressful week later... or do the laundry ..or take a nap! lol xxoo